Saturday, May 30, 2009

Broccoli! Broccoli! Broccoli!

Again, blame it to the media publicity why I thought that broccoli was not a good vege. I have always seen on TV, especially where the kids where involved, that they have always resisted eating this vegetable. I then assumed that it was really bad until I came out of the country at 23, I never tasted broccoli. And when I did, I was surprised how good tasting it was (at least for me)!

The good news then followed. I have read from the Health Page of CNN that when this vege is boiled, it has more vitamin C than orange and has as much calcium as a glass of milk. It is also rich in fiber and vitamin A aside from the basic nutrients. And as stated, the real handsome point for this vegetable is its potent cancer-fighting components.

Broccoli (also cauliflower) has rich isothiocyanates substance -- chemicals shown to stimulate the body's production of its own cancer-fighting substances, called "phase two enzymes" that in turn neutralize potential cancer-causing substances before they have a chance to damage the DNA of healthy cells. To those who do not like Broccoli, you better practice liking it or have the cauliflower as an alternative, unless you want to regret later on. Go Brocco!

2 comments:

SheR. said...

Ooo... I love to cook Cauliflower, Broccoli, carrots and tomatoes as my pasta sauce! It's delicious and extremely healthy:)

Filipina Ini said...

I do love eating cauliflower and broccoli too. Delicious and healthy indeed.