Friday, June 26, 2009

Run to Death: Running Health Risk

run to death, unhealthy running, risky running, health risk running I was just thinking: "What if one overdoes it?" I mean, there is limit to anything, right? But what if one pushes him/herself to run and run until he she get so tired? There must be a line between the healthy run and a punishing run, right?

What's into running? What's your purpose? I do run but not daily and not as heavy. It's quick run that makes me clean my respiratory system, and make myself sweat a little and burn few (I think very few) calories. I really don't care that much although I find it a wonderful start of the day. Why? It kindles my energy and I feel warm all day if I run in the morning.

Another reason why I do run is, to stay fit and cut some fats that I have in me. I am 50 kilograms and a kilo or two below it or at least to maintain this weight, running is definitely a help. Sometimes I get so desperate when I have to be early in the office but I feel the urge and the need to run that I even run inside my garden! ( If you are interested to see my garden, here it is. Just click... But that is only a few meters away I guess and more of a quick run than anything else.

And back to the question: What if one runs too much? I cannot answer that as I am no expert but I do think there is really a limit for what is normal and what is more than normal. Thus, to satisfy my curiosity, I did a little search about it and I landed on an experts response about running....or doing much on running.

too much running, running to death, unhealthy run, unhealthy running, tedious run, I love running. I usually run about 7 to 8 mph for 90 minutes on the treadmill, five days a week. My distances can vary, though I typically run about 13 miles and I always try to burn at least 1,000 calories, according to the treadmill. Is too much running bad for my heart and lungs? I am 17 years old, 5-feet-2 and weigh 129 pounds. You sound like a natural born runner. You run fast and long, and the fact that you can spend hours every week slogging it out on a treadmill—a task that many people would find extremely tedious—suggests that you are seriously hooked. Are you running too much? Well, that is debatable. On one hand, the human animal is designed to be more active than the average couch potato. Studies of non-modern cultures find that people move continuously for hours as they go through the tasks of daily living. On the other hand, the way that the body metabolizes energy suggests that it’s hardwired to function efficiently for low-intensity movement, such as walking briskly, for long periods. But to move at vigorous intensities, such as running fast, the body is geared towards doing it in short spurts. That is because high-intensity action is fueled by a process that uses quick-energy molecules and carbs, which are only available for up to a couple of minutes at a time. In other words, this fast-acting fuel is in short supply and runs out. That’s what happens when hitting the wall in a marathon or gasping for breath after sprinting to first base. But longer-lasting action relies on fat for fuel. Even thin people have millions of fat cells and can be fueled for hours and hours on this endless energy source as long as the physical intensity is low to moderate.

What I shared up there is a screen shot of that expert's take on too much running. The article is not complete and you have to see the website of that article to be able to grasp the expert's opinion. So what are you waiting for? Read the complete expert's opinion about too much running by just clicking this statement. If you are concerned about running too much, of if you want to know, I assure you you'll get the answer. All I can say is, use running to the best of your advantage. Run healthy. Don't run to your death!

No comments: